Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Go get 'LOST'

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1859671179/bctid1877562253

Many of us enjoy getting ‘LOST’ on Wednesday nights at 9:00 on ABC, but apparently not as much as we did last year. According to the LA Times on January 22, ‘LOST’ had received record-low premiere ratings. It captured 11.4 million viewers for last years season four premiere and it is sadly down 26% this year. I guess it’s hard to battle with Fox’s new drama ‘Lie to Me’ with its ever so popular lead in, American Idol. However, the ratings weren’t too shabby with a 5.2 verses a 5.1 rating for ‘LOST’.

ABC’s Television Group President Anne Sweeney reported plans to develop a “widget powered by Intel for the final season of ‘LOST’ next year to bring the show to additional devices.” Interestingly enough, ABC was the first network to set up a deal with iTunes “to seek out alterative distribution venues for its show…” I personally love that you can watch shows on online form ABC.com. Sometimes, I think its even better than watching it when it originally airs because the commercials are only 30 seconds and I can conveniently watch on Mac while I’m cozy in my bed. iTunes is also great though because when I was studying abroad in South Africa I had no television and ABC.com wouldn’t work outside the country, so I had to resort to buying shows online. I loved the fact that after I bought each show they were saved in my library and I could watch them whenever I liked, without any commercials. The convenience of watching shows online has to have made Americans much happier people. Our 8:00 Monday night shows have now turned into our Tuesday morning subway riding ipod shows or perhaps our Saturday afternoon TIVO or DVR shows.

TV Week even had some exciting news to report that ‘LOST’ was the most popular show watched online ahead of ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Saturday Night Live’. Maybe Wednesday night really isn’t a good time for many of the viewers and it is simply more convenient to watch it at a later date on some other electronic device. Perhaps these viewers need more than just that one time viewing and they feel the need to purchases their favorite episodes from iTunes or even wait until the DVD of the season comes out. Whatever way you choose to watch ‘LOST’ is fine with me as long as you watch it some way or another!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post! When abroad, you can try Hotspot Shield. It slows down your system, but it makes websites "think" you're in the US. I need to use it whenever I'm in Canada & want to see content on US websites.

    ReplyDelete